Thursday, October 18, 2012

Buyers Regret/Remorse

I have the worst case of buyers regret/remorse. I hate spending money, I absolutely hate it. Every single time I buy something, I have to convince myself it was a good purchase, and then ask a friend if my purchase was a good one. (It's usually my dear friend Kerri who has to convince me that it's okay to buy things. I'm sorry my dearest friend.)

For example, I absolutely love the graphic novel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson. It receive mixed reviews, but overall, I really really really enjoyed it. Growing up in a highly religious family, and trying to make my own way in this world, I was able to connect with Thompson, as well as other aspects of the book that made me break down in tears thinking about my own past experiences. And I don't cry at anything, not at the titanic, not at the fricking notebook, not when my grandma died etc etc. I didn't cry, at all. Yet, somehow, this book touched me in such a way that I almost had to stop reading because I was sobbing. Pathetic, I know. The only other time I cried this hard was when I found out my horse was going blind in one eye and I was sobbing backstage during my high school's production of "Kate" and I was "Kate" and everyone was telling me to STAHP because I was screwing my stage make-up... up.

Anyway, you get that I REALLY like this book, but it usually goes for about flipping 30$ for a paper back so I never bought it. Well I found it on Amazon for 10 and almost freaked out and bought it. Immediately afterward I felt awful for wasting money on this book and I'm still convincing myself it was a good idea.

So I've made some rules/justifications to help those with buyer's regret:
*If you will used it less than four times a year (once every three months) you don't need it. If you will, it was a good purchase.
*If it is a seasonal purchase you will use every single year at that season, it was an okay purchase
*If you will wear it at least 1-2 times a month it was a good purchase
*If it is a timeless decoration that you will use continuously it is a good purchase. If your object falls under these categories, it was NOT a good purchase: 70's, disco themed, twilight themed, Dawson's Creek themed, Kristen Stewart and non-parody themed, or contains anything with Michael Vick or Sarah Jessica Parker on it.

Now I feel good about my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment